Top 10 Reasons You should be VERY concerned about SICK LEAVE on the October Ballot
- All Employers: Large, Small, for Profit and Nonprofit will have to pay sick leave to…
- All Employees: full-time, part-time, and temporary will get 1 hour of sick leave for every 30 hours worked
- If the employer takes ANY ADVERSE ACTION against an employee within 90 days of taking sick leave it is presumed the employer is retaliating against the employee, which is a punishable violation under this ordinance.
- Your Sick Leave Policy Will Change to be in compliance with the ordinance (unless it is based on a collective bargaining agreement)
- If the employer requires a doctor’s note to prove sickness, the employer pays for the doctor’s visit.
- The City Attorney can audit and investigate your records with penalties payable to the city. This is monetary incentive for the city to make sure you are doing something wrong.
- Triple monetary damages and payment for attorney’s to the employee if they prevail. Nothing for the employer if they prevail.
- The ordinance allows for punitive litigation including: Class Action, three times monetary damages including lost wages, possible reinstatement, civil penalties of $50 per week per employee, employees attorney fees.
- This ordinance cannot be changed by the City Council.
- You can calculate the cost to your business at www.abqche.org
Protect your business! Learn the facts and take action by donating to the Albuquerque Coalition for a Healthy Economy. Visit www.abqche.org
Watch this video about Albuquerque's Sick Leave Bill