REALTOR® safety is a priority and one of the ways we can help is to educate and provide you with tools to help keep you from becoming a target. This month, GAAR is launching Real Safe Agent, a safety app that allows you to screen new clients, send a drop-in alert to nearby REALTORS® or contact police. This member benefit will go into effect Tuesday, November 13th when members will be emailed an activation code and the program will go live.
Register to learn how to load the app on your phone and practice the safety features.
Real Safe Agent App Training (1-hour Training Session)
Date: Tuesday, November 13th to Friday, November 16th
Time: Multiple times to choose from
Location: GAAR REALTOR® Building
Avoid Being Targeted by a Predator
The Real Estate Industry has traditionally approached crime against REALTORS® as if it were random and opportunistic, this is a fallacy. The overwhelming majority of crime against REALTORS® is a predatory crime committed by predators. Simply look at what someone must do to commit a crime against a REALTOR®:
- Pick a victim
- Research the victim
- Pick a location for their attack
- Create a plan as to how they will get their victim to the location alone
- Execute on that plan
- Create a plan once at the location how they’ll get their victim isolated where they cannot be seen or heard
- Execute on that plan
As you can see, this is far from opportunistic.
Another important point to keep in mind is that violent predator’s motive is power and control; consequently, weakness, subservience, and vulnerability in pictures and language can possibly attract a predator. That being said, a big part of marketing yourself as a REALTOR® is making yourself and your picture as prominent as possible. Here are some quick tips on how to avoid projecting vulnerability in your photograph:
- Be aware of facial expressions
- Look straight into the camera
- Keep your head vertical, no tilt to one side or another
- Professional eyes - relaxed and fully open, but not “strained open” as if you are surprised
- For women, your make-up should be natural and understated
- Professional, authoritative smile and expression - we smile differently towards a client than we do towards a loved one. A professional smile is a facial expression that establishes a “boundary”, whereas a personal smile is a facial expression that is softer, warmer, and conveys vulnerability
Source: "Avoid Being Targeted by a Predator"