The Annual Backpack Drive is in full swing and GAP needs your help with new backpacks for homeless students.
APS Title 1 Homeless Project anticipates that 500 elementary, middle, and high school students will need backpacks this fall. The Homeless Project provides basic services, as well as education to help keep these children in school. Throughout the years, REALTORS® and Affiliates have been instrumental in providing backpacks to 2,000 students whose families may be experiencing unemployment, job changes, or other circumstances that can cause the loss of a permanent home.
Children and youth are considered homeless if they:
- Live in transitional or emergency shelters
- Live in motels, cars, abandoned buildings, or other inadequate accommodations
- Are "doubled up" (two or more families in the same household)
- Are runaways or youth rendered homeless by their parents
Ways to Help
- Donate Online: Go to gaar.com and login to your Member Portal > Upcoming Events > 2021 Backpack Drive
- Drop off new backpacks in the lobby at the GAAR Building by Friday, July 30th
- Drop off Donations (payable to GAAR Title 1 Backpacks)
- Mail Donations to GAAR, 1635 University Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102
Deadline to donate is Friday, July 30th. Every $5 buys a backpack for 1 child.
No cash or school supplies, please!
Albuquerque Public Schools (APS) Title I Homeless Project provides homeless students both basic services as well as the education that is necessary to avoid poverty as adults. Local businesses and organizations volunteer in countless ways including collection drives to supply much-needed hygiene products, snacks, backpacks and other items needed. Click for more on APS Title I Homeless Project.