For over 100 years, the “Code of Ethics” has outlined what REALTORS® cannot do. Now NAR has adopted the "Commitment to Excellence" to show you what you should do.
Unlike the “Code of Ethics,” you will not be penalized for failing to adhere to the "Commitment to Excellence.” Think of it more as a REALTOR® best practices guide that takes “The Code” and our professional standards to the next level.
By incorporating the “Commitment to Excellence” into your daily business practices, you’ll not only contribute to raising the bar for REALTOR® professionalism, you’ll help build your personal brand as well.
The REALTOR® Commitment to Excellence
I am a REALTOR®.
As a real estate professional, laws and regulations set the minimum standards I owe to my clients, customers and the public. In that regard, my duties are the same as other practitioners.
As a REALTOR®, I embrace and I am bound by the duties spelled out in the REALTOR® Code of Ethics. In addition to the duties owed to my clients and customers, to the public and to other REALTORS®, I strive for the aspirational goals of the Preamble, knowing that the term REALTOR® stands for competency, fairness and integrity.
I believe in the value of the land. I understand the importance of adequate housing, functioning, livable cities, productive industries and farms, and a healthful environment, and their role in nurturing a free society in the United States and internationally.
As a real estate professional, I may be required to meet ongoing education requirements to maintain a license, certification or designation. As a REALTOR®, I continuously enhance my grasp of issues affecting real estate, and I willingly share my experience and expertise with other professionals. My dedication to the satisfaction of my clients’ best interests is my primary goal.
Understanding that the pursuit of knowledge continues lifelong, as a REALTOR® I will strive to achieve excellence in the following competencies:
- Being current and knowledgeable about the laws, regulations and legislation affecting the real estate disciplines I engage in, and about real estate in my community generally.
- Understanding the Code of Ethics is a living document, and keeping myself informed about its duties and obligations on an ongoing basis.
- Providing equal professional services to all consistent with Article 10 of the Code of Ethics.
- Advocating for property ownership rights in my community, state and nation.
- Acknowledging and valuing that honesty and integrity are fundamental and essential to REALTORS® being known as consumers’ trusted advisers.
- Becoming and remaining proficient in the use of technology tools to provide the highest levels of service to clients, customers and the public, and facilitating cooperation by sharing accurate, current information with consumers and with other real estate professionals.
- Keeping up-to-date on laws and regulations governing data privacy and data security, and taking necessary and appropriate steps to safeguard the privacy and integrity of information entrusted to me.
- Committing myself to enhancing my knowledge and skills in the real estate areas of practice I engage in on an ongoing basis.
- Providing superior customer service.
- Appreciating that courtesy, timely communication and cooperation are fundamental to facilitating successful real estate transactions, and to building and maintaining an impeccable professional reputation.
- As a broker-owner or principal of a real estate company, I am committed to creating and maintaining an environment that promotes excellent customer service consistent with these standards.